From Streetwise in Barrie : An Historical Guide to Barrie Streetnames - According to the late Mrs D Lemmon, Lount Street was named "After George Lount, County Registrar 46 yrs." The son of Gabriel Lount, George W. Lount was born on 25 February 1799. He qualified as a surveyor before the age of 20. Lount surveyed in West Gwillimbury, Tecumseth, and Innisfil townships during 1819 and 1820. He was appointed registrar of land deeds for Simcoe in 1826, serving to 1872. He was also the first postmaster at Holland Landing. His elder brother, Samuel, was hanged on 12 April 1838 for his part in the Rebellion of 1837. Called a "jack of all trades" by Andrew Hunter, George W. Lount was commissioned a justice of the peace for the District of Simcoe in 1843. He moved to Barrie in October 1846. The next year Lount was one of the driving forces behind the projecting and surveying of the Minesing Road. In 1870, Lount built "Glenholme" at 62-4 High Street. George W. Lount died on 8 May 1874 at Barrie, aged 75.
Judge [J.A.] Ardagh, comp., "Justices of the Peace," Simcoe County Pioneer Papers, No. 1 (Barrie: Simcoe County Historical Society, 1908 and reissued by Simcoe County Historical Association, 1995), pp. 5 and 6
Heritage Barrie, "Downtown West Walking Tour" (1989 reprint)
Andrew F. Hunter, A History of Simcoe County (Barrie: The County Council, 1909 and reprinted 1998), Part I, p. 235 and Part II, pp. 10-1 gives date of birth as 3 February 1799
Notes from the files of Mrs D. Lemmon, courtesy Su Murdoch
Photo of his grave marker in Livingston collection at Simcoe County Archives shows date of birth as 25 February 1799
Northern Advance, 14 May 1874, p2c5.
His son, lawyer, MPP, MP, and High Court Judge William Lount was born on 3 March 1840 at Holland Landing, The younger Lount was educated at the Barrie Grammar School and studied law with Adam Wilson (1814-91, later Chief Justice Sir Adam Wilson) and later with Mowat & McLennan. After being called to the Bar of Upper Canada in 1863, Lount opened a practice in Barrie. He was elected MPP for Simcoe North in September 1867, serving one term to 1871. He was made Queen’s Counsel on 11 March 1876. In 1878, Lount built one of Barrie’s grand homes, the Second Empire style Lount’s Castle, 25 Valley Drive, at a cost of $10,000. See Castle Drive. He moved to Toronto in 1885. Elected Liberal MP for Centre Toronto in the federal general election of 1896, he resigned in November 1897. His appointment as puisne Judge in the Common Pleas Division of the High Court on 30 January 1901 was "received with much satisfaction" among the legal profession. Of "upright character" and "good repute," the "courteous and affable" Judge William Lount died of Bright’s Disease on 24 April 1903 at Toronto.
Barrie Examiner, 23 June 1910, [p7]c4-5
J.A. Gemmill, ed., The Canadian Parliamentary Companion, 1897 (Ottawa: J. Durie & Son, 1897), p. 157
Heritage Barrie files
Lillian Marsden, "County of Simcoe Judges" (unpublished ms, dated 1969, held in The County of Simcoe Law Association library at Barrie), pp. 78-79a
Northern Advance, 30 April 1903, p4c1
Geo. Maclean Rose, ed., A Cyclopædia of Canadian Biography (Toronto: Rose Publishing Company, 1888), p. 743.